Sunday, December 04
Follow us

Jamesport – A Quaint Country Town

slide4First settled in the 1690s, the hamlet of Jamesport was originally called Aquebogue, then renamed Lower Aquebogue when Upper Aquebogue was established further west. In 1833, James Tuthill settled in Lower Aquebogue and soon after it was named Jamesport. Meanwhile Upper Aquebogue was called just Aquebogue. Located in the Town of Riverhead, Jamesport is known for its history, quaint downtown, fine dining, delightful farmstands, fabulous vineyards, and beautiful beaches on the Sound and the Great Peconic Bay.

The Jamesport Meeting House, at 1590 Main Road was built in 1731. It is the oldest public building on the East End of Long Island, built by the Puritan founders of Riverhead Town. It has belonged to the Jamesport Meeting House Preservation Trust for the past seven years with Richard Wines as its President. Featuring social and cultural events, enjoy The Recorder Orchestra of New York on April 25. On May 22, compete in the 2nd Annual Community Spelling Bee.

Stop by the Jamesport Country Store in the Old Telephone Company Building on Main Road, owned by the Waldman family for over 40 years. Enjoy a variety of vintage goods, handmade crafts, local photography, candles, soaps, books, old-fashioned toys, candy, and assorted collectibles.
Enjoy wonderful dining in Jamesport at quaint Jamesport Country Kitchen, located at 1601 Main Road in an historic building circa 1850, owned by chef Matthew Kar. Creating a “made from scratch menu” using local ingredients, it is the second restaurant to introduce “Farm to Table” on the North Fork. Offering Long Island wines exclusively, they have the largest selection on the East End. Their modern American cuisine menu changes bi-weekly. www.northfork.com/catering

Jedediah Hawkins Inn located at 400 South Jamesport Avenue features fine American cuisine using locally sourced ingredients with fresh seafood, local produce, and local wines. This landmark victorian mansion, originally built by Captain Jedediah Hawkins in 1863 in an Italianate style, was restored in 2005. www.jedediahhawkinsinn.com

Harbes Family Farm owned by Ed and Monica Harbes, a thirteenth-generation farming family, features three fun-filled theme farms, including the Western Farm on Main Road in Jamesport with fun activities for kids and adults. The 44-acre Western Farm is open July 1-October 31 and includes Frontier Land for kids with pony rides, musical hayrides, and a Western Corn Maze. www.harbesfamilyfarm.com

Gabrielsen’s Country Farm, a family owned and operated farm and flower stand on Main Road features hayrides, a corn maze, bouncy houses, and a corn crib. Enjoy pumpkin picking, live music and pony rides. Features roasted corn, freshly squeezed lemonade, fresh apple cider, apples, and fresh pies. Also hardy mums, Montauk daisies, ornamental cabbage, and fall decorations in season. Open daily from mid-March thru December 24. www.gabrielsenscountryfarm.com

Jamesport Vineyards on Main Road was established in 1986 when Ron Goerler, Sr. acquired a 150-year old barn that now houses the winery and tasting room in Jamesport. Together with his son, Ron Goerler, Jr., they began Jamesport Vineyards in 1989, a 60-acre vineyard, producing 7,000 cases of wine per year. It is also the first vineyard to shuck raw oysters. Open year-round, they feature an oyster bar at the winery with live music performed on the back lawn every weekend from Memorial Day through October 31. www.jamesportwines.com

Jason’s Vineyard on Main Road is on 20 acres and was founded in 1996 by Jason Damianos, the son of the late Dr. Dan Damianos who founded Pindar Vineyards in Peconic. The vineyard features chardonnay, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, and malbec. Their tasting room is shaped like a boat and has a beautiful outdoor deck. Open year-round, free live music is performed every weekend from early April through the end of October. www.jasonsvineyard.com

Clovis Point on Main Road, owned by the Misk family was established in 2001 on 10 acres with a tasting room in a renovated potato barn from 1934. Operated by General Manager Kelly Bruer, they are open year-round, presenting live music, Yoga in the Vineyard, and, on occasion, artist receptions on weekends. Featuring award-winning wines cabernet franc, sauvignon blanc, merlot, and chardonnay. www.clovispointwines.com

Diliberto Winery located on Manor Lane on four acres, owned by Sal and Maryann Diliberto, opened in 2007. Their tasting room has the décor of a piazza in Italy with guests seated at bistro tables with views of the magnificent interior mural and outside on the patio overlooking their manicured lawns and vineyard. Featuring live music and events on weekends from April through October. www.dilibertowinery.com

There are two Town of Riverhead beaches in Jamesport. Iron Pier Beach on Long Island Sound is a beautiful beach with mild waves and great fishing. It was named after the “Iron Pier” built in 1900, later destroyed in the winter storm of 1903-4, now the site of Iron Pier boat ramp. On the Peconic Bay, South Jamesport Beach is a fun swimming and fishing beach. The shallow water bay beach is ideal for children.

Located in the heart of wine country, Jamesport features lovely beaches on the Sound and the Bay, wonderful farmstands, great “farm to table” dining, and a classic country store. Come to Jamesport and discover the charm of this quaint country town.